Friday 3 November 2006

Latest ODAC/ODP.Net from Oracle

I've been using ODP.Net (part of ODAC) for some time now since it was first released as a beta. After a buggy start, it is now my preferred Oracle data provider for .Net 1.1 and .Net 2. I've still got apps using the MS Oracle provider (for historical reasons), but the richness of ODP.Net feature set ensures it's my choice for all new applications (see ODP.Net samples). Top tip: first write a factory or wrapper class library... we did this for the original MS Oracle provider and it greatly aided the port to ODP.Net.

I recently downloaded ODAC 10.2 (I was on ODAC 9.2 before), as 1) there are useful bug fixes in 10.2 and 2) I needed it for .Net 2 applications.

First impressions look good... although I'm already coming across issues regarding servers hosting both ASP.Net 1.1 (running against ODP.Net/Oracle 9.2 client) and new ones on ASP.Net 2 (needing ODP.Net 10.2 and thus 10g client). So although .Net 1.1 and 2 run happily side-by-side, third party supporting class libs and drivers are another matter. Oracle do support side by side Oracle clients, but it all looks rather messy and not something I would wish to promote.

With .Net 3 less than a couple of weeks away too, I would hope to see mention of support for this on the Oracle site. Just checked, and only support for .Net 2 is mentioned.

Will report back in a few weeks...

No comments: