Thursday 5 July 2007

Running VS 2005, Oracle 10g client and ODT/ODP.Net on Vista

I've not long received a new laptop (went for the Dell M1710 in the end, not the most portable by any means but a real powerhouse desktop replacement style laptop, just the job when you are running VMs, virtual PCs, Oracle, SQL Server etc all on one machine). Gorgeous 17" screen 1920x1200 which copes nicely with the IDEs of today, although I am not convinced by the current trend of glossy reflective screens - sexy looking they may be but I don't really want to see a reflection of myself whilst coding thank you very much - non-reflective screens (as on my old Inspiron 5150) are much more usable in bright environments. Viewing angles are good though. Came with Vista Home Premium on.

Anyway... once I'd uninstalled all the free 30day trial 'crap' that is installed by default I set out to install all my standard apps that I use day to day.

On the list was of course trusty Visual Studio 2005, along with Oracle 10g client, ODP.Net and Oracle developer tools (ODT).

VS 2005 Prof and SP1 were not a problem, although I did get a couple of "known compatibility issue" pop-ups.

The Oracle versions I'd been using on XP, however were not compatible with Vista (unless you did registry hacks). Oracle have now released officially supported products.

Hence here's what you need if you want Vista compatibility 'out of the box' with Oracle:

Oracle Database 10g Client Release 2 (10.2.0.3)
http://www.oracle.com/technology/software/products/database/oracle10g/htdocs/10203vista.html

Seems to install fine although if you use the Aero interface in Vista you will see a message indicating that the installer is not compatible with that.

ODAC 10.2.0.2.21 (inc. ODP.net plus ODT if you want it) see
http://www.oracle.com/technology/software/tech/windows/odpnet/index.html

Note only the installer has been upgraded to make it compatible with Vista, not the individual ODAC products, so if you are using ODAC 10.2.0.2.20 on another Windows platform (as I do on XP), you don't need to upgrade. See C Shay's article http://cshay.blogspot.com/ for more info.

The above is official released software so can be used in production code.

There is also some nice beta stuff in the pipeline, see 11g stuff http://www.oracle.com/technology/software/tech/windows/odpnet/index_11gbeta.html

5 comments:

Joe Hopkins said...

I am trying to connect to Oracle 10.2

I am on Vista, so I need the new client for vista, even though the oracle server is not running on vista?

Dave Clarke said...

Hi Joseph

You simply need to install the Oracle 10.2 client for Vista I talked about above. The Oracle server does not need to be Vista (I connect to Oracle on Windows 2003 and Unix based boxes from my Vista laptop).

Dave

Anonymous said...

Hi Dave:
I have installed oracle 10 g client on my vista laptop. But i can not connect to my unix database server. Problems with listner and tns. Do i need to applu any patch set on client vista machine?
Harsha
508 395 7433

Dave Clarke said...

Hi Harsha

I am not aware of any extra patch needed, just the Vista compatible Oracle client I have already mentioned. My Vista laptop happily connects to Unix based Oracle DBs.

Dave

Mr Josph said...

Doing a great job.
keep it up